14 Best Podcasts for Kids (2022): Long-Form, Short Stories, and More
The mixture of content material makes for a podcast that ought to fulfill even the pickiest of listeners. New episodes arrive each different week. There are additionally transcripts obtainable so your youngsters can learn alongside whereas listening to enhance literacy.
Story Seeds is a comparatively new podcast, and it is a bit totally different from the others; moderately than a narrative, it is a meta view of create a narrative.
Each episode pairs a child (age 6-12) with a youngsters’s e book writer. They meet up in particular person and collaborate to put in writing unique tales that begin out with the child’s thought (the “seed” within the identify). It’s not up to date as incessantly as a few of the remainder of these, however there’s over two dozen episodes obtainable.
This Australian podcast is dedicated to showcasing true tales of Australian girls. From athletes to spies, Fierce Girls typically promotes a unifying theme of adventurous ladies with “guts and spirit.” While the tales are all applicable for youngsters and not graphic, the hosts do not shrink back from telling tales as they occur. In some circumstances, you may wish to hear first to verify a narrative is suitable for your youngsters’s maturity degree. That mentioned, our 9-year-old twins love them.
Offering a mixture of traditional tales, like these of Beatrix Potter, and lesser-known content material, Planet Storytime goals for that blend of leisure and training Fred Rogers perfected. It releases new episodes each Thursday.
One very nice characteristic that units this podcast aside is that on the finish of every month, there’s one lengthy episode with a complete month’s price of content material—excellent for getting an hour or so to your self.
This science podcast is geared toward youngsters, although I’ll be trustworthy, I’ve discovered loads from it as nicely. Brains On is instructional—simply do not inform your youngsters that. They’ll love studying how bugs stroll on partitions, discover their manner with out a compass, and even the place poo and pee go while you flush the bathroom.
There’s a collection known as “Smash Boom Best” through which two issues are pitted towards one another, and your child can choose their favourite. For instance, Loki was recently pitted against Athena. This podcast might be finest suited for barely older youngsters.
Warrior Kid Podcast
The Warrior Kid Podcast shouldn’t be for everybody, however my youngsters actually just like the question-and-answer format of this podcast, which relies on the books of the identical identify. The writer of the books and host of the present is Jocko Willink, a embellished, retired Navy SEAL officer and management guru. Here Willink stands in for the character of Uncle Jake in Willink’s Warrior Kid e book collection, answering youngsters’ questions on every part from keep away from consuming sweet to what it takes to be a Navy Seal.
Willink locations a worthwhile emphasis on bodily exercise, psychological sharpness, weight loss program (encouraging youngsters to develop wholesome consuming habits), and onerous work. The latter varieties the core of the message on this podcast: Work onerous, prepare in jiujitsu, and you’ll finally succeed. This one is concentrating on barely older youngsters, most likely finest for ages 8 and up. One particular notice: Willink has one other podcast, Jocko Podcast, that’s most positively not for youngsters.
Anorak: The Happy Podcast for Kids
A manufacturing of Anorak Kids Magazine, The Happy Podcast for Kids is instructional and entertaining, and it really works nicely for the entire household, since there are many tales that may entertain adults as nicely youngsters. Much of the content material explores themes just like Anorak’s magazines, so if one thing actually catches your kid’s curiosity, you may order the related difficulty as nicely. Themes embrace every part from sea life to creativeness to linguistics. Guests cowl a equally wide-ranging spectrum with every part from scuba divers to ice cream makers. While this one is ok for the entire household, given the extent of element and episode size (round half-hour), you may need to take breaks with youthful youngsters with shorter consideration spans.
Another NPR podcast, But Why goals to reply child questions on every part from nature, politics, tradition, science, even the tip of the world. Your youngsters can submit their very own questions too; directions are on the website.
Because But Why covers a variety of subjects, I have a tendency to assist out extra with it. Many episodes are finest suited to barely older youngsters. My youngsters (7 and 5) weren’t about to sit down by an episode on what occurs when a president is impeached, for instance, however they did take pleasure in an episode on how we style meals.
One of the few podcasts on this record that was created by a child, Aaron’s World is a 50-episode audio-drama following the adventures of a boy (Aaron) and his trusty laptop sidekick (INO) exploring the prehistoric world of dinosaurs. The episodes concentrate on single subjects—e.g., iguanodon, microraptor, sharks—however over the five-year run, some enjoyable bigger story arcs emerged that create a operating plot. All got here from the thoughts of initially 6-year-old Aaron, who stored at it for 5 years. Highly really helpful for any child who’s interested by dinosaurs.
Other Great Podcasts and Audio Shows
These days the web is awash in podcasts, with far too many to say intimately right here. That mentioned, listed here are some others your youngsters could like.
- Saturday Morning Cereal Bowl: Long earlier than our children obtained into storytelling podcasts, they beloved this weekly two-hour music present launched each, ahem, Saturday. And I do know what you are considering: youngsters’ music. But it is actually not youngsters’ music, it is simply music youngsters will take pleasure in. This can be a good way to find music your youngsters love that will not drive you loopy. Did you realize Walkmen co-songwriter Walter Martin has a fantastic album for children? How about The Verve Pipe? Johnny Cash? All these and extra I’ve found by Saturday Morning Cereal Bowl.
- Earth Rangers: This podcast has a biology slant however makes a great hear for any youngsters interested by digging within the filth, studying about animals, or listening to tales of the ecosystems in far-off lands. There are episodes on the jungle, the Arctic, and almost every part between. Episodes are usually about quarter-hour every and normally deal with a single animal or atmosphere. Earth Ranger might be finest suited to youngsters who’re just a little extra mature.
- Molly of Denali: This eight-episode podcast units the backstory for the PBS cartoon of the identical identify. Each episode is about 10 minutes lengthy, and they’re sequential, telling the backstory of Molly Mabray, an Alaska native rising up together with her mother and father, household, and associates in Alaska.
- Eleanor Amplified: This long-running journey collection options an intrepid reporter named Eleanor Amplified. She focuses on foiling the devious plots of villains. It’s a bit pro-journalist at instances, in a rah-rah type of manner that is not for everybody, however the tales are fast-paced, entertaining, and within the spirit of old-time radio exhibits.
- Live From Mount Olympus: My youngsters had been working their manner by the Percy Jackson e book collection when this arrived, so this Olympian-focused podcast was an prompt hit. It follows the adventures of a younger Perseus, who’s on a quest to save lots of his mom from an evil king. Live From Mount Olympus largely sticks to the Greek tales as chances are you’ll keep in mind them, although there are some further characters. Live From Mount Olympus is a part of the Trax community, which hosts different youngsters podcasts as nicely.